[TYPO3-english] UTF-8 wiki - setDBinit

David Bruchmann typo3-en at bruchmann-web.de
Sat May 2 17:44:16 CEST 2009

----- Ursprüngliche Nachricht -----
Von:        Steffen Müller <typo3 at t3node.com>
Gesendet:   Freitag, 1. Mai 2009 10:49:34
An:         typo3-english at lists.netfielders.de
Betreff:    Re: [TYPO3-english] UTF-8 wiki - setDBinit
> On 01.05.2009 09:12 Jan Bednarik wrote:
>>> The more danger, the more honor ;-)
>>> This confuses unexperienced users without need.
>> I once expirienced that
>> SET NAMES utf8;
>> was not enough. It didn't work with these settings and I spent hours
>> finding out why. Finally I found those 5 lines which worked OK so I use
>> them since.
> Read the docs. It is the same. If you don't believe, make some tests.
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/charset-connection.html
> Maybe there was something else on your system.
> I once experienced that not using UTF8filesystem had effect on the DB
> connection. But I did not try to find out if it really was the reason.

I'm using
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['setDBinit'] = 'SET NAMES utf8'.chr(10).'SET 
character_set_connection = utf8';

For the most important steps referring the whole utf-8 setup I created a 
short how-to:


More information about the TYPO3-english mailing list