[TYPO3-english] Content personalization, and database interfaces

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Thu Mar 19 07:55:05 CET 2009

Hi!

Stacey King Gordon wrote:
> The typo3.com site mentions the ability to personalize content according
> to different user groups. I'm looking for documentation or more details
> on how to do this, and how far those capabilities extend. I found in
> search a reference to a document called "Content Personalization" but
> haven't been able to find it. Anyone know?

It works easily. You can assign web site users to groups. When you create content, you can specify for each content element which group will see it (or if it is public to anyone). It is as easy as selecting groups from the list. You can have multiple content elements on the page and show some of them to some groups, other elements to other groups and yet other elements to everyone. It is very flexible.

> Also, my developers need the ability to interface with existing MySQL
> and Access databases to call on member information for login areas of
> the site. Can you point me to info about the Typo3 capabilities for that?

TYPO3 can login users through external database but not out of the box. This requires creation of a TYPO3 authentication service. This is not difficult but need certain knowledge. For example, integration for LDAP, phpBB and some other external products exists.

> Sorry to bother you all if this is not an appropriate use of the mailing
> list -- I'm totally lost and haven't been able to find the info myself
> after 2 hours of searching!

No problem. We are here to help :)

--
Dmitry Dulepov