[TYPO3-english] Management of high number of groups with a few "roles"

Christopher Torgalson bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 23:17:41 CET 2009

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 2:48 PM, Xavier Perseguers <typo3 at perseguers.ch> wrote:
> Hi Christopher,
>
>> I don't have a TYPO3 instance handy to test this, so I might be wrong, but…
>>
>> Would something like this work?
>>
>> 50 groups, 1 per section with the appropriate db and file mounts, and
>> no edit access
>
> Yes
>
>> 1 group for editors with access to appropriate tables, fields, no db
>> or file mounts
>
> Yes
>
>> 1 group for publishers with (greater) access to (more) appropriate
>> tables, fields also with no db or file mounts
>
> Yes
>
>> Selected users get access to the editor and/or publisher group in
>> addition to the appropriate section group. Since the editor and
>> publisher groups have no db mounts of their own, they should only have
>> access to db tables in their own sections (this is the part I'm not
>> sure of since I didn't test it…)
>
> This is where I see the problem. You grant editors to edit, say tables
> pages and tt_news, for both "common" fields. You grant publishers to
> edit more specialized fields such as start- and end-time for those tables.
>
> You have a person that should have editor rights on a section but
> publishers rights on another. As he has publishers rights, he will have
> those for both sections.

Ah, got it. I hadn't grasped that a publisher might be an editor in
another place. That's trickier, and I can't think of a way out. It's
no help that you can lock editors to certain domains? ( If you can't
see the deeper significance to that remark, it's probably because it
doesn't have a deeper significance… :) )

--
Christopher Torgalson
http://www.typo3apprentice.com/