[TYPO3-english] print friendly page extension

Christopher Torgalson bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 17:36:15 CET 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 2:08 AM, Xavier Perseguers <typo3 at perseguers.ch> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>> I never saw a site that does this :)
>>
>> Actualy, some high profile sites still do this.
>>
>> news.bbc.co.uk for example. Select one of the articles, and above the title
>> is a link to a printer friendly version which opens in a popup window.
>
> Personally, my goal is accessibility the way W3C want it [1]. As I don't
> see anything there about having to put some print preview page I never
> put a link to a print preview version of my page and I would even
> recommend putting some "obsolete/deprecated" disclaimer at the beginning
> of TYPO3 tutorials about this very feature.

When clients insist, I just implement a print link as a stylesheet
switcher and SHOW the user what the printed page will look like. It's
not a bad thing IMO; the unsophisticated user is free to add an
unnecessary extra step into the process if s/he wants to, while the
experienced user can just type ctrl-P or cmd-P. Both users get exactly
the same result.

I've also written a very short how-to about making a print-link with
Typoscript [1]. DISCLAIMER: the method illustrated does NOT require
Templavoila to work.

[1] http://www.typo3apprentice.com/samples/tv-print-link/

--
Christopher Torgalson