[TYPO3-english] Typo3: A solid German car?

Virgil Huston vh at acqal.com
Tue Jun 9 18:38:03 CEST 2009

Here is the response I left on the blog entry:

While I will respond in much more detail on the TYPO3-English list
discussion that you started when you posted the link to this blog article, I
will say for your reader's sakes that you get almost everything wrong. A few
minor details are correct, but one of the positive things about the long
term future growth and viability of any open source project is when the
original developer (Kasper) can step away and things continue on as if he
never left (and he is still very involved, but in a different way). I have
no idea where you got some of your information, but you need to look a lot
deeper to find the truth.

I also plan to blog about that CMSWatch press release about third wave. They
got that completely wrong for both TYPO3 and Drupal. You can not trust
CMSWatch for objective reporting about free open source projects, in my
opinion, and they do solutions like TYPO3 a great disservice as they are
regarded as an authority source.

Cheers,
Virgil

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Dmitry Dulepov <dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Janus Boye - J. Boye wrote:
> > Am I the only one who is a bit concerned about the future of Typo3?
>
> No.
>
> > I've been following Typo3 for several years, including some detailed
> > evaluations for the Web CMS Report by CMS Watch and have also seen
> > several agencies present Typo3 in front of customers. At the moment it
> > seems like several competing open source Web CMS are progressing faster.
>
> True.
>
> > I've just shared some constructive thoughts in a commentary on
> > http://www.jboye.com/blogpost/typo3-a-solid-german-car/ and would
> > appreciate your feedback.
>
> You got some facts wrong:
>
> > The recent major release, version 4, dates back to April 2006,
>
> "Major versions" are now 4.x. TYPO3 has to release major versions using
> "4.x" scheme because 5.0 is taken (marketing mistake). But if you actually
> followed TYPO3, you would know this fact.
>
> > the most recent news on typo3.com dates back to October 2008
>
> June Friday 5th and many more news before it. See http://news.typo3.org/.
>
> > the rate of innovation at Typo3 is far from impressive
>
> It depends on what you call "innovation". I cannot really agree with this
> statement. There were serious revolutionary changes in TYPO3 during past two
> years.
>
> > today the version 5 development team is exclusively German
>
> It is true that TYPO3 is mainly used by German–speaking people. But I see
> no problem with German v5 team. They are always open to anyone else in the
> world.
>
> So almost every fact is wrong and tells that you do not really "in" the
> TYPO3. You should get rid of the wrong statements because your article does
> not look professional.
>
> --
> Dmitry Dulepov
> In the TYPO3 blog:
> http://dmitry-dulepov.com/article/macintosh-vs-hackintosh.html
> LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitrydulepov
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/dmitryd
> Skype: liels_bugs

Virgil Huston
COO, Acqal Corporation - Official TYPO3 Agency for Support, Training, and
Website Migration
+1 (866) 924-8645 * +1 (404) 963-8850 x101 * Fax +1 (866) 275-7385
Read more at www.Acqal.com/blog