[TYPO3-english] Oracle & Typo3 + TV

Ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Wed Jul 29 17:43:29 CEST 2009

On Jul 29, 2009, at 10:20 AM, David Bruchmann wrote:

> [...]

MySQL doesn't often makes sense because the have there history of
oddities
and they like to be backward compatible...

I cannot speak for Oracle (I think oracle handles auto numbering by
triggers)..

But PostgreSQL is the default value a a function and get's expanded to
something of

I believe once was said that TYPO3 would not supply the default value
anymore for auto increment... I might have been wrong.

FYI : PostgreSQL Example:
CREATE TABLE tablename (
     colname SERIAL
);
is equivalent to specifying:

CREATE SEQUENCE tablename_colname_seq;
CREATE TABLE tablename (
     colname integer DEFAULT nextval('tablename_colname_seq') NOT NULL
);

So your default is actually calling a function nextval,
kinda cool if you think about it.

because it asllows you to get your next primary key value without
creating an actual record.
If you decide not to use it then you can just trow the value away.

In MySQL you would need to create a record and if you decide not to
use it you need to delete the record.

Ries

			regards, Ries van Twisk

tags: Freelance TYPO3 Glassfish JasperReports JasperETL Flex Blaze-DS
WebORB PostgreSQL DB-Architect
email: ries at vantwisk.nl        web:   http://www.rvantwisk.nl/
skype: callto://r.vantwisk
Phone: +1-810-476-4196    Cell: +593 9901 7694                   SIP:
+1-747-690-5133