[TYPO3-english] Oracle & Typo3 + TV

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 15:46:11 CEST 2009

Hi Ries!

Ries van Twisk wrote:
> The developer doesn't always have time and it's sometimes even very hard
> to get in contact with them.

You are absolutely correct and in most cases developers do not have time. All correct. But you always can ask :)

> I made a patch to a extensions a couple of times and more then often I
> get nothign back or I get back 'Sorry I cannot bla bla bla, I am very
> buzy.. bla bla bla but thank you'
> Replies like that often put's me off to even bother to get in contact
> with a developer nowdays.

I can understand that. Nothing frustrates more than rejection in this case.

> Second,  I know there have been patched made for TV, but they where not
> accepted because they where to big (go figure!)

Correct. It happens because we must be able to:
- understand what each change makes
- revert each problematic change without affecting other changes

TV is a complex module, therefore small patches help to fulfill both points above and keep TV stable for everyoneš good :)

> and they had to be broken up in little chunks to get accepted, as a
> result nothing was done because the original developer
> couldn't spend a other XXX days to brake up into little chucks and make
> bug track entries (bug track should be made,
> but sometimes it's not possible to break things up in little chucks of
> code for various reasons.

Mainly it happens because the developer did not do it from the beginning, though developers are usually aware of the rules. If they choose to ignore them, I can't really help :( There are useful patches but I can't rsik the stability of TV. And I do not want to spend my own time to split a genious patch to smaller patches (understandable, isn't it?) :)

> Third, no core devs except Xavier is interested in Oracle by looking at
> the number of reminders for Oracle support in DBAL,
> who is going to test TV against oracle???

As I said I was interested before to do this thing specifically for TV. Right now my interest for TYPO3 is close to zero, so I am not interested in doing major fixes to any extensions. I think most of them will be eventually passed to other persons. But I *was* interested to fix all TV and other extensions bugs a couple of months ago. We could have it if anybody contacted me with this. It did not happen.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitrydulepov