[TYPO3-english] Oracle & Typo3 + TV

Ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Tue Jul 28 21:01:52 CEST 2009

On Jul 28, 2009, at 1:06 PM, Dmitry Dulepov wrote:

> Hi!
>
> (Mauro, though I reply to your post, the reply is not addressed to
> you. It is more a general thought about agencies and freelancers.
> Please, do not take this personally!)
>
> Mauro Lorenzutti wrote:
>> We are using TYPO3 v. 4.2.8 with Oracle XE without problems. We had a
>> lot of problems while trying TV over Oracle so we decided to do not
>> use
>> TV for that project :-(
>
> This is what I do not like in many TYPO3 agencies. Instead of asking
> the developer to help, they spend a lot of time and money trying to
> solve the problem, fail and abort the idea. As a result:
> - money wasted
> - time wasted
> - the problem persist
> - the developer has no idea
> - the agency complains about the extension without any help to
> improve it
>
> You should have contacted me at that point. I could help you to
> solve it.
>
> (I am not interested in it *now* but I was interested in the past)
>
> The worst possible way to solve the problem is to do everything in
> house. It is always better to ask the developer instead of trying to
> do it in house. It saves you time and money, gives you credit in the
> extension manual and also solves the problem. It is always better
> than the in house failure!
>
> It happens too often in TYPO3. Common human pride looses time and
> money and does not let extensions to improve...

Please don't see this as a personal attack but...

The developer doesn't always have time and it's sometimes even very
hard to get in contact with them.
I made a patch to a extensions a couple of times and more then often I
get nothign back or I get back 'Sorry I cannot bla bla bla, I am very
buzy.. bla bla bla but thank you'
Replies like that often put's me off to even bother to get in contact
with a developer nowdays.

Second,  I know there have been patched made for TV, but they where
not accepted because they where to big (go figure!)
and they had to be broken up in little chunks to get accepted, as a
result nothing was done because the original developer
couldn't spend a other XXX days to brake up into little chucks and
make bug track entries (bug track should be made,
but sometimes it's not possible to break things up in little chucks of
code for various reasons.

Third, no core devs except Xavier is interested in Oracle by looking
at the number of reminders for Oracle support in DBAL,
who is going to test TV against oracle???

Ries