[TYPO3-english] HMENU as if on other page

Tyler Kraft tyler.kraft at netefficiency.co.uk
Wed Jul 22 22:24:34 CEST 2009

Hi

> Thanks for the reply - I always like reassurance that my ideas aren't
> totally stupid :D

No it's not a stupid idea at all. I just ideally didn't want to have to
do it this way but I have no other choice. :-)

> I do feel that, as far as the end-user can tell, this solution is
> exactly the one you are trying to achieve

In this case it's what I was trying to achieve, just not how I wanted to
do it originally. In my case it'll lead to many more cached pages of the
same event when it is displayed. I also worry about what it will do to
the index search results.

I don't think I would have the same potential problems if I was
displaying it on one page. Although at this point it is all just
speculation, and I'll see when the site goes live and I have better
information to look at.

> Perhaps the solution isn't to complicate the front end module by
> adding unnecessary functionality to the menu system, but to better
> document the things that can already be achieved?

While not trying to be argumentative, I would disagree. I was always
aware that I could do it this way, but it still leaves the problem as I
originally described it. There is no way to mimic a menu as it should be
for a predefined location while being on a different page. And while in
this case there is a solution, in other cases this is not a possibility
and still leaves the lack of functionality with out having to write a
PHP function to handle it in each case.

Also I'm not sure that adding in a feature to HMENU really will
complicate it greatly ;-)

Just my 2cents.

Tyler