[TYPO3-english] so called TYPO3-supporting providers

Andreas Becker ab.becker at web.de
Tue Jul 7 04:29:38 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 5:24 AM, bernd wilke <x00nsji02 at sneakemail.com>wrote:

> Am Mon, 06 Jul 2009 17:08:34 +0700 schrieb Andreas Becker:
>
> >> Hi Jigal

> >> information
> >> and
> >> Securityissues
> >>
> >> This will indeed be arranged. You can't have a certification without
> >> sufficient information for the people/company who wants to be
> >> certified.
> >

> > This would be the first step which is really necessary Thanks!

> >> Hosters"
> >>
> >> Why only one or the other?
> >

> > The point is that everyone should have the chance to be a qualified
> > TYPO3 Hoster and therefore he needs qualified information on how to
> > setup such an environment and this is missing at this point, even many
> > threads where asking about hosting TYPO3 already on the Lists. A
> > frustrated Customer will first blame the developer but finally it will
> > be always TYPO3 and this harms us all. As we can't avoid people with
> > hosting their sites at non certified hosters it would be much better to
> > get those hosters TYPO3 enabled.
>
> my first intention about a example test installation was in this
> direction.
> I think just a list about neccessary specification won't do the job.
> indeed we have a list (http://typo3.org/about/system-requirements/) which
> proofs to be of no use.
>
> the benefit of an example test installation (like acid-test) should be
> that providers can see in the live-system which configuration-value need
> correction like the grafics-part in the install-tool where you can test
> wether all grafic-handling (IM/gdlib) works as needed or where parameters
> need change.
>
> As it is a difference in doing something and reading a parameter I prefer
> the real TYPO3 against a standalone-programm which just checks values.
>
> on the other way: if these test-installation is public anyone can see
> which parts of TYPO3 are working, which not and can decide how important
> they are to him.
> In tests I always prefer detailed results using my own weighting for my
> decision instead of only one number as result of a foreign weighting for
> foreign needs, so it may give a hint which products/provider are
> interesting at all.

A working test installation is always good to have. But often the test
installation on your server differs a lot from those at the settings at the
hosters.
There needs to be at least some kind of "standard" so that most settings of
a test installation will match with those of a hoster, especially than of a
certified TYPO3 hoster.
It should be absolutly no problem to move sites from a certified TYPO3
Hoster to another certified on - if there is a certification.

But how to start. Who can provide a TYPO3 Hosting "Dreamsetting"? Perhaps we
should start to collect some settings and needed applications IM GM ... and
also the settings of these applications. Take i.e. an Ubuntu server which
provides most stuff already incl. lamp and a typo3 starting package. How to
continue. How to get the right settings going and how to get it most secure
and performant?

> [...]
> > servers mostly leak on very essential stuff, especially in terms of
> > security.
>
> or a company has it's IT-manager who sells everything, without knowing?
> I did a job, where the customer had a contract with IBM. IBM said: 'we
> can handle every kind of webserver.' and so IBM got the job of webhosting
> against my vote for an expierienced TYPO3-hoster.
> one week later I was asked from the serveradminstrator where he could buy
> (!) the apache-software.
> Later on, he insists that I had to tell him how to configurate apache and
> mysql as his installtion had a very poor performance.
> As we had developed till then on an development-account at a TYPO3-
> provider, we should ask our provider about his configuration.
> I was happy to end the contract as I (and TYPO3) were blamed for all the
> failures of the webadmin.
> As I'm no webserver-adminstrator I always say: select a good TYPO3-
> hoster, but my boss likes more to follow the customer than me.
>
> having a test-installation a webserver-adminstrator can proof if he is
> able to provide a good (TYPO3-)server
> or I can proof that the adminstrator isn't capable of providing a running
> TYPO3 system.
>
> I think nobody will get certified for the company's own website.
>
> [...]
> > A research is not done by checking of a developer or a company or a
> > hoster is certified. A research starts in reading comments from others,
> > reviews about the company and the developer with no matter if he or they
> > have a certification or not. But until now there isn't any resource for
> > HOSTERS to read about their benefits and backdrops, A Developer has got
> > his site and his references. As a customer I would simply pick out 2 - 5
> > references and phone them and ask them about the developer or customer
> > before I would start a bigger project with them. There is so much more
> > important than a certificate. i.e. Customer Support, Flexibility, On
> > Time Development, Quality of work ... which you can't read out of any
> > certificate.
> >
> > The same should be able with TYPO3 Hosters. If they would list a list of
> > referenced TYPO3 Projects hosted on their servers than you could simply
> > phone them and ask them about Service, 365/24/7 Online Chat or Phone
> > Support, Their responsetimes beside the major TYPO3 Question - How is
> > your TYPO3 Site running on this server, do you have ssh access, and so
> > much more.
>
> how can a new hoster get customers if every possible customer asks for
> references?
> how can a hoster, who detects TYPO3 as a new market get TYPO3-customers
> if every possible customer asks for TYPO3-references?
>
> and do you believe that a hoster of 1,000,000 (or more) websites know how
> many of them are TYPO3? (I know: just run a script to check)
> and wether their owner is willing to be told as reference?

Well, you are right and it is important to ask the owners if they are ok to
be shown as a reference as we work often for other agencies and of course we
can't show our work we do for them on our website, even they present perhaps
our work as their work on their websites - That's the way of outsourcing.
On the other hand a customer should be mature enough to see if a hoster is
new (and has perhaps only one TYPO3 website - this he should have at least
visible for the customer as a TYPO3 Hoster) or if the hoster is already
existing 5 years but has still only 5 TYPO3 websites.

But like I just said before even a customer who chooses an agency which
shows a long record of TYPO3 websites does not mean that they did the work!
But it could mean that they have or had the right connections to qualified
people in the outsourcing market.

A Hoster isn't always a hoster too ;-)