[TYPO3-english] so called TYPO3-supporting providers

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Mon Jul 6 16:29:22 CEST 2009

Hi Ries,

Ries van Twisk wrote:
> thing is that certification program still doesn't solve the initial
> issue of that a developer can get a client that uses a hosting
> company that is not working with specification.
>
> The only thing a developer can say when we have a certification in
> place is : " Well sir, you don't use a TYPO3 certified hosting
> company, it's not my fault that XYZ doesn't work".

At an earlier stage the developer could also say: "Well sir, the
provider that hosts your website at the moment isn't TYPO3 certified. We
might run into problems with missing tools, limitations, etc. when we
move the website from the development server to their server. If you
want I can contact them and see if they will garantee that it won't be a
problem and that they will adjust what is necessary." You can offer any
help to get the site up and running with that hosting provider, but you
may offer these hours seperately and not within a fixed price offer.

> Then you are still at a situation that the client isn't happy, except
> that the developer can hide behind the fact that the clients hoster
> doesn't use a TYPO3 certified hoster.

The developer can do a lot before the deal with the client is closed.
It's not a matter of hiding behind something, it's a matter of making
clear what you can promise the client.
A happy or not happy client is often a matter of fulfilling your
promises. If it is unclear what you offered both sides can have a
different interpretation and both sides can be unhappy about the end result.

In the case of a non-certified hoster you can offer: I will try to get
the site running with this hosting provider, but since he's not
certified I cannot be sure that it is possible (your risk); with a
certified hoster it would take me X hours to move the site, in this case
I have to charge you for every hour I have to spend more.

Regards,

--
Jigal van Hemert.