[TYPO3-english] so called TYPO3-supporting providers

Ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Mon Jul 6 16:02:49 CEST 2009

On Jul 6, 2009, at 8:46 AM, Jigal van Hemert wrote:

> Hi Andi,
>
> <snap.....>
>
>> frustrated Customer will first blame the developer but finally it
>> will be always TYPO3 and this harms us all.
>
> And by having certified hosters a customer can select a hosting
> company
> which is at least capable of setting up a good environment for TYPO3.

And here lies the problem.....
Many customer already have picked there place where they host there
mails and
there current website and this is the place where they want there
brand new TYPO3
website aswell.
They don't like to switch because that often means all mail settings
need to get changed, new contracts need
to get signed with customers, they need to call in there IT support to
change all desktop computer, yada yada yada....

I am NOT against certification in general,
I just think that it will not solve the original problem of this
thread....

a TYPO3 core/Community supported test script that tests a hoster against
various settings and gives a good to go or not go to go is a good
start for developers
to test there clients server and see if it's compatible. THAT was the
original problem,
the developer didn't test the clients hoster and ended up into problem
implementing
the created website which didn't work...

The test script is also not easy it all:

For example, I have seen hoster that only allowed 100.000SQL queries
within a given timeframe to there DB, after that you just got a DB
error, how to test for that
(You WILL hit that when working with a couple of people on a site's
BE)???
What about storage limitations, somebody also told about inode
limitations,
what about mail limitation (max XX mails/hour through a mail system...)

a Test script is a good start, but certifying a hoster has a other
issue and a hoster can limit by a lot of un-known factors..

I think a lot depends on the developer gathering the specific
requirements
and based on that advice the client.

Ries

> [...]
>> professions I have never got because of a certificate but because of
>
> That is your personal experience. The situation differs from country
> country.
>
> If your customers don't care about a certification then you simply
> don't
> get certified!
>
>> When you go to online jobboards for Software Developers, there are so
>> many coders which are brilliant even in TYPO3 and perhaps outstitch
>> any integrated Developer Species. It is really depending on where
>> and which market you want to conquer with TYPO3.
>
> True. For many countries in the world certification is an added value,
> for many it isn't. That's no reason to be against certification in
> general :-)
>
>>> A hosting company which wants to have clients from the
>>> "TYPO3-market" will get certified. If a company is not interested
>>> in these clients, certification has no use for that company.
>>
>> Wrong. As many companies host their websites by their own or on the
>> server of their developer and exactly here starts the problem as
>> those servers mostly leak on very essential stuff, especially in
>> terms of security.
>
> If a customer wants to host the site on their own server, the
> developer
> must have in his contract that he cannot garantee that it will work on
> the customers server. If the developer sold the hosting too, the
> customer could ask if he's a certified hoster.
>
>> A research is not done by checking of a developer or a company or a
>> hoster is certified. A research starts in reading comments from
>> others, reviews about the company and the developer with no matter if
>> he or they have a certification or not. But until now there isn't
>> any resource for HOSTERS to read about their benefits and backdrops,
>
> For 'normal' hosting providers there are a couple of (independent)
> sites
> in the Netherlands where you can compare the packets they sell plus
> read
> the feedback from their clients. I agree that it would be useful to
> have
> such a site for TYPO3 hosters.
>
>> All tests which aren't created every time setup completely from
>> scratch are simply doable! The goal cannot be who is best in learning
>> it by heart!
>
> If the pool of questions is large enough, learning the questions and
> answers is about the same as learning the intended scope of the
> information ;-)
>
> You can allow people to have certain documentation with them on the
> exam, but some degree of readily available knowledge is desirable.
>
>> The goal must be to get ALL to be good Developers, ALL to be good
>> Hosters, ... and therefore you need good information and trainings,
>> tutorials ...
>
> Even with enough and good information available not every developer or
> hoster will use this information. You need something to verify their

			regards, Ries van Twisk

Ries van Twisk
tags: Freelance TYPO3 Glassfish JasperReports JasperETL Flex Blaze-DS
WebORB PostgreSQL DB-Architect
email: ries at vantwisk.nl
web:   http://www.rvantwisk.nl/
skype: callto://r.vantwisk