[TYPO3-english] so called TYPO3-supporting providers

Ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Sun Jul 5 19:08:55 CEST 2009

On Jul 5, 2009, at 11:32 AM, Ron Hall wrote:

> Hello Bernd,
>
> First let me say that your suggestion for a testing script is a good
> one. SlideShowPro director has such a script for its application and I
> have found it helpful. It checks for all the required items and also
> for the "nice to have" items. It would even better that it be a stand
> alone file not a T3d file as you could test before you had TYPO3
> installed.
>
> However, I still believe a paid certification is still a good idea. A
> hosting company would not have to be certified. They can still claim
> they support TYPO3 just like non-certified developers can offer TYPO3
> services. I have not yet taken the certification exam, but I am a
> competent TYPO3 developer and advertise as such.

A paid certification also need to be monitored,
large companies can just buy themselve in even though they
have a certification, they can change it later on to suite there needs.
With monitoring you can assure on a day to day basis they the company
still functions as it would function when it got the certification.
This needs LOTS of time.
Also paid certifications would be used only by companies that has TYPO3
as there core business. I don't think that a company like servage for
example (TYPO3 works there)
will buy such a thing.

I seriously think that a test script would benefit everybody, but
mostly developers/integrators
that build a website for clients that are hosted elsewhere.

Also, what does certification really mean??? I remember these days of
Microsoft certified
bla bla bla... But these people only did read the book theoretical (a
lot did at that time because they could make good $$$$),
in practice they stood nowhere close to somebody that had real life
experience with subjects.

Ries

> Non-certification does not mean a company is not competent, but simply
> that, for whatever reason, they have chosen not to be certified. But
> certification would mean that the company has invested the time and
> capital to be certified and that those efforts are officially
> recognized.
>
> As for hosting companies deciding on certification or not, there is a
> difference between a hosting company being cheap and being low-cost.
>
> To be profitable, a low-cost provider depends upon volume, in other
> words, hosting many sites. Since certification fees would be charged
> per host and not per site, these hosts should be able to afford
> certification as easily as premium hosts.
>
> The hosts that would have trouble would be those that are trying to
> conduct business by being low-cost AND low-volume which is always an
> unprofitable business strategy.
>
> Ron Hall
> Busy Noggin, Inc.
>

> On Jul 5, 2009, at 10:58 AM, bernd wilke wrote:
>
>> Am Sun, 05 Jul 2009 10:37:13 -0500 schrieb Ron Hall:
>>
>>> Hi Andi,
>>>
>>> Athough I believe the Association should not bother itself with
>>> policing
>>> hosts who simply say they support TYPO3, I also believe your idea
>>> of a
>>> hosting certification has merit. I could see it working like the
>>> current
>>> developer certification. The Association could legitimately charge
>>> fees
>>> since time would needed for verifying and monitoring the certified
>>> hosts
>>> and hosts would gain value by being certified.
>>
>> I don't think that providers which want to be cheap would pay for a
>> certificate.
>> may be we could build up a more complex test than the IM-tests in
>> install-
>> tool? something similar to the acid-test for browsers:
>> a basic webpage as t3d-import which includes the most common
>> functionality (requiring an extension which must be installed before,
>> working on some images, sending a mail (registering), pdf to img, AI
>> img, ... )
>>
>> Each provider can install this testpage and everyone can see on the
>> resulting website which functions are available, which not.
>>
>> bernd
>> --
>> http://www.pi-phi.de/t3v4/cheatsheet.html

			regards, Ries van Twisk

Ries van Twisk
tags: Freelance TYPO3 Glassfish JasperReports JasperETL Flex Blaze-DS
WebORB PostgreSQL DB-Architect
email: ries at vantwisk.nl
web:   http://www.rvantwisk.nl/
skype: callto://r.vantwisk