[TYPO3-english] so called TYPO3-supporting providers

Ron Hall ronslists at busynoggin.com
Sun Jul 5 18:32:37 CEST 2009

Hello Bernd,

First let me say that your suggestion for a testing script is a good
one. SlideShowPro director has such a script for its application and I
have found it helpful. It checks for all the required items and also
for the "nice to have" items. It would even better that it be a stand
alone file not a T3d file as you could test before you had TYPO3
installed.

However, I still believe a paid certification is still a good idea. A
hosting company would not have to be certified. They can still claim
they support TYPO3 just like non-certified developers can offer TYPO3
services. I have not yet taken the certification exam, but I am a
competent TYPO3 developer and advertise as such.

Non-certification does not mean a company is not competent, but simply
that, for whatever reason, they have chosen not to be certified. But
certification would mean that the company has invested the time and
capital to be certified and that those efforts are officially
recognized.

As for hosting companies deciding on certification or not, there is a
difference between a hosting company being cheap and being low-cost.

To be profitable, a low-cost provider depends upon volume, in other
words, hosting many sites. Since certification fees would be charged
per host and not per site, these hosts should be able to afford
certification as easily as premium hosts.

The hosts that would have trouble would be those that are trying to
conduct business by being low-cost AND low-volume which is always an
unprofitable business strategy.

Ron Hall
Busy Noggin, Inc.