[TYPO3-english] Direct Mail CSS Query

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Sun Jul 5 08:52:30 CEST 2009

prateek sharma wrote:
>           I am trying to send newsletter using Direct Mail plugin, it is
> successfully sent but without any css file.In this newsletter i have also
> include css media type print using typo script.So plz tell me how to display
> our newsletter with all its css  ?

As has been said by others, linking to external CSS doesn't work in e-mail.

So, first start up your search engine to study the numerous articles
about what you can and cannot do in the HTML of your newsletter.
Design a new template with "e-mail HTML" and use that for the pages you
will use as newsletters.

DirectMail can send the images in your newsletter along with the HTML of
the e-mail, but it cannot do this with images which are linked from CSS
styles; these will stay linked. Many e-mail clients will not load linked
images immediately, but will show an option to do so. Outlook 2003 will
not show this option if there are also images embedded in the mail.
Several mail clients will not show CSS background images. So if you use
CSS background images remember that not everybody will see them and that
you need to disable the option to send the images with the newsletter.

Furthermore the <a id="cXXX"></a> anchors which are inserted by TYPO3
can be a problem for some mail clients. Use:
	tt_content.stdWrap.dataWrap >
to remove them.

Other useful settings to clean up the HTML (especially if you re-use the
page object from the normal pages):
	config.removeDefaultJS = 1
	page.headerData >
	page.includeJS >
	page.includeCSS >

Use:
	plugin.<extension-name>._CSS_DEFAULT_STYLE >
for each plugin which has default CSS styles.

It can be quite a bit of work to produce a nice clean newsletter.
Keeping the design very, very, very simple helps a lot!

Regards,

--
Jigal van Hemert.