[TYPO3-english] Duplicate cHash values

Dmitry Martynenko dima at realt.by
Mon Jan 19 16:17:31 CET 2009

Hi Dan,

>> But I think it is axiom: less data and shorter keys -> more speed
>> to SELECT.

DO> Sure, but the question is by how much. It doesn't matter that the look
DO> up is fast if it gives the wrong result. So its a trade off between
DO> accuracy and speed - and in this case I think accuracy takes priority.

BINARY(16) and CHAR(32) can store the same MD5 value - it is accurate enough.

But of cause using of CHAR(32) is more "human readable" and thus easier
to develop and debug the code.

I'll try to test "BINARY" approach on RealURL tables and post results.

--
Dmitry Martynenko
Developer

Web: http://realt.by