[TYPO3-english] tt_news, sorting in LIST and LATEST does not work

Albert Dekker albert at pod-dubon.com
Mon Jan 12 16:46:18 CET 2009

Dear List,

Installation data:
TYPO3 Version 4.2.2
- Apache 2.0.59
- PHP 5.2.5
- MySQL 4.1.21
- GraphicsMagick 1.1.7
- AFPL Ghostscript 8.53
- phpMyAdmin 2.10.0.2
- eAccelerator 0.9.5.2
- Perl 5.8.8.820
- typo3start-Package Version 3.2
(installed via wininstaller)

and tt_news 2.5.2

The sorting (Ascending and Descending functions of tt_news do not work.
The oldest news stays on the first place.
Checking on the issue I understood that several people have had this
problem as a result of a MySQL bug in version 5.xx where the "group by"
and "order by" commands collide.
However in this installation (with a 4.1.x version of MySQL I encounter
exactly the same problem.
Commenting out some statements in the class.tx_ttnews as suggested (for
the bugged mysql 5.xx as suggested in
http://www.typo3-jack.net/33017-post8.html does not work either.
Before I try to start the (seemingly difficult) process of upgrading
MySQL to the latest 5.xx version I like to see whether this problem has
been experienced by others and what the possible solution could be.

Regards,
Albert