[TYPO3-english] Very slow performance when clearing cache & viewing template / huge db size increase

Steffen Müller typo3 at t3node.com
Fri Jan 9 00:07:38 CET 2009

Hi.

On 08.01.2009 17:44 Francisco Javier Huerta Lopez wrote:

> Bas, your site seems very similar to ours in size. And yes, we are going through the same problems you are experiencing. At first, we thought it was an indexing issue, but it's quite obvious by now that the problem is the cache implementation. It was by far worse when we had a "Latest pages" plugin - we learned the hard way, and took out all the plug-ins we really didn't need. How did you build your cronjob? Are you going into mySQL and cleaning the cache tables manually, or can Typo3 be configured to clean them? Our back-ups have, obviously, skyrocketed in size lately.

There are many cache tables used in TYPO3 - which is/are your with a big
size?

For clear cache with cronjob, search the list archives:
http://support.typo3.org/general/english/m/re-typo3-clear-cache-from-cron-script-220144/

Michiel Roos posted some hints about backups without cache tables:
http://typofree.org/article/archive/2008/july/title/typo3-database-backup-without-the-heavy-tables/

> We've been using Typo3 for close to 8 years now, and can't help but be amazed at how flexible and powerful it is when compared to commercial offerings. But this performance issue could be a deal-breaker in a couple of months, since we are planning to offer customized content. I'd assume this would place so much extra stress as to require extra hardware on our side. It's good to know a file cache project is ongoing - maybe this is the answer to our problems.

TYPO3 4.3 is going to have a new caching framework. This will enable you
to choose between DB, file system or memcached (RAM) for caching.
The release is targeted for early spring, but could be late spring from
experience.

> We don't have that many extensions - the main one we use is tt_news, actually. We have *lots* of news. Maybe this could be the problem?

"*lots* of news" does not give us lots of information about the size of
your problem.

tt_news is a potential candidate, specially if you use the dynamic
backlink in single view. A single news could generate multiple cache
entry, each with the same content except the backlink. E.g. when you
have 1000 news and 10 pages with list views, you'll probably end up with
10000 cached single view pages.

Also have a look at:
http://wiki.typo3.org/Performance_tuning

This page will probably not serve you a full solution, but maybe it'll
inspire you.

--
cheers,
Steffen