[TYPO3-english] Include script in backend head

Peter Klein peter at umloud.dk
Tue Aug 11 11:30:25 CEST 2009

On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 00:12:01 +0200, Jigal van Hemert <jigal at xs4all.nl>
wrote:

>Hi Peter,
>
>Peter Klein wrote:
>> "Jigal van Hemert" <jigal at xs4all.nl> wrote in message
>> news:mailman.1.1249587591.27405.typo3-english at lists.netfielders.de...

>>> I don't think it's a matter of books being profitable. If there is only
>>> electronic documentation available people start asking "isn't there a
>>> good book?", if there are mailing lists and newsgroup people start asking
>>> about a forum, ...
>>
>> A search on www.amazon.de, gives me a result of 65 TYPO3 books!, so there
>> must be some reason why people write books rater than opdating the official
>> documentation!
>
>This doesn't tell me a lot, except that there are enough people who want
>to buy a book.

No. It tells you that there's a huge interest in writing TYPO3 books,
but not TYPO3 documentation.

>  > If you look at the official TYPO3 documentation, then you'll see
>that some
>> of the major docs, haven't ben updated in 5-6 years!
>>
>> Backend Programming      - last update: 29.11.2002 23:29
>> Frontend Programming     - last update: 29.11.2002 23:29
>> TypoScript Templates     - last update: 30.11.2002 03:36
>> doc_tut_quickstart       - last update: 22.07.2004 17:55
>> Basic Extension Tutorial - last update: 26.07.2004 20:09
>
>Oh come on, you are very selective:
>
>Typo3 Installation and Upgrading - last update: 04.01.2009 13:17
>TSref - last update: 13.05.2009 18:12
>TSconfig - last update: 01.12.2008 01:59
>TYPO3 Coding Guidelines - last update: 03.07.2009 11:57
>Inside TYPO3 - last update: 01.12.2008 01:49
>TYPO3 Core API - last update: 01.12.2008 01:40

Ofcause I was selective, but the manuals I mentioned is some of the
documents new users starts with. (TSRef, TSConfig and the API, was not
written for new users.)

>> How do you expect someone (except the core team) to write better/updated
>> documentation, if they don't know of the new features?
>
>As you can see earlier, core documentation (TSref, core api, etc.) is
>pretty recent. It's the documentation for beginners which can use
>rewrites. This can be done by people who are not core team members.
>Other documents like Modern Template Building or Futuristic Template
>Building could do with new screen shots and descriptions which
>correspondent with the latest interface, but you can still follow the
>turorials without major problems.

Sure it's possible to follow the tutorials, but as TYPO3 have changed
quite a bit since 2002, a lot of things have changed. A couple of
examples: The locallang files is now XML, but the manuals all describe
the old PHP format. Initialization of BE modules have changed, but
still mentions the old way. FE manual recommends using
"set_no_cache()", yet all other recent docs tells you the opposite.

And as the information about new features/changes stays with the
coremembers/corelist, then the ones updating the docs must be one of
the coremembers/regular reader of the corelist, otherwise more
information might still be outdated.

It's sad that you have to resort to external sources, in order to
learn TYPO3.
http://www.t3node.com/blog/how-to-find-hidden-typo3-features/

--
Peter