[TYPO3-english] Include script in backend head

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Sat Aug 8 02:10:26 CEST 2009

Hi Walrick,

Walrick wrote:
> Peter Klein wrote:
>> How do you expect someone (except the core team) to write better/updated
>> documentation, if they don't know of the new features?
>
> I agree with Peter. The lack of properly updated core documentation is a
> serious flaw of TYPO3, in terms of both support and marketing. This
> might scare off quite a bunch of potential users. Perhaps really
> experienced TYPO3 users and (extension) developers don't see this,
> because they have a look at the source code and understand how to do
> things, but that doesn't work for everybody. I bet there are a lot of
> TYPO3 users/admins who, like myself, aren't php developers. And they
> would prefer to have good up-to-date (and preferably reasonably
> complete) core documentation.

These kind of discussions always tend to go like "they" (the people who
build the project) have to make this so "we" can use it. TYPO3 is a
community product, so there is only "we".

If you feel there is a need for certain kind of documentation you could
start it by setting up the outline in a wiki for example. Ask people to
write small sections for which you lack the knowledge. Approach experts
to proof read it and comment the documentation. If the document is
fairly complete you can publish it as a document or ask the association
to make it an official TYPO3 documentation.

TYPO3 is free as in free speech, not as in free beer. A lot of people
work voluntarily on it, but this also means that they do want they want
to do. They fix the issues they can fix and think that must be fixed and
they write the features they want to write for some reason. If you want
people to produce what you want you can always sponsor someone to do it
for you (or arrange sponsoring).

> Having a good core documentation which is updated every time features
> are added or changed is very important in my view.

Core documentation is pretty much up-to-date. There is also detail
documentation in the code itself which can be extracted by tools like
doxygen. TSref is very recently updated, etc.

Everything that is changed to the core is also filed in the bug tracker.
If you can think of a way to use these issues to trigger modifications
to the documentation, I think that would be a great feature.

> And simply saying: "write it yourself" is too easy.

There is one thing even easier: complain and do nothing about it.

Regards,
--
Jigal van Hemert.