[TYPO3-english] UTF-8 wiki - setDBinit

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Wed Apr 29 12:13:36 CEST 2009

> In the utf-8 wiki there's a statement that says:
>
> Warning! Never use the following because it will create 	character set
> problems that are hard to solve: SET CHARACTER SET utf8;
>
> However, as far as I remember it was recommended (and I still use this)
> to use
>
> 	SET NAMES utf8;
> 	SET CHARACTER SET utf8;
>
> as value for [setDBinit] in localconf.php

Quite a while ago I looked at the settings needed to have the backend in
UTF-8 and the frontend in whatever you want. The results were:

Make sure the db tables are utf-8, in the backend set:

[BE][forceCharset] = utf-8
[SYS][setDBinit] = SET NAMES utf8;

SET CHARACTER SET utf8; sets the connection collation to the collation of
the default database and that might be different on occassions...
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/charset-connection.html

--
Jigal van Hemert.