[TYPO3-english] Freesite ext for public use?

Elijah Alcantara elijah.alcantara at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 17:02:43 CEST 2009

Hi,

I would like to open up a community site using that ext and ea. member
will have their own webpage and optional domain, what security risks
should I watch out for?

Here's what I've done so far:
- I've disabled many features of the RTE esp. html content.
- the freesite create page is in an iframe that now detects fe login, so
to create a site it must be a registered user first and is set on a user
group that changes to a diff group with restrictions to prevent multiple
accounts.
- have set all uploads to 200kb or so, since I haven't found a single
ext that can monitor how much disk and db space the user have used up
(to prevent abuse)
- more captcha on forms
- very limited content creation in the backend (mostly text and images)
- I'm using the old version of freesite < 0.2.0 , it's heavily
customized so I can't just upgrade yet. Is there any security issue even
in the past versions? I checked the changelog and it doesn't seem to say
anything about those.

Is there anything dangerous that I've missed? How else can this be abused?

Also I have a few concerns:
- my hosting provider can only allow 250k inodes (50k now and with only
a handful of sites), and knowing typo3 it creates too many files in
uploads and cache files. Is it possible to change some of the
functionality and save on the db instead? or is this a bad idea and I
should just switch hosts?
- aside from inodes, what other issues can pop up from getting a huge
list of users and page trees?
- anyone know of a good host that doesn't have much limits on inodes and
should handle a typo3 site very well? ( I have my eye on mittwald but
it's in german and I can't translate that )

Thanks for reading,
Elijah