[TYPO3-english] Real URL and subdomains - findRootPageId function

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Mon Apr 13 22:15:21 CEST 2009

Hi!

Vahan Amirbekyan wrote:
> I thought of a patch that would find rootpage_id automatically and then
> found the realurl code already has it.
> findRootPageId does exactly what I thought of doing and even more.
>
> Dmitry, why that feature is not being documented?

There is nothing to document there, it works automatically.

> I am hoping it will stay in future releases.

Well, I think about disabling it because it causes a lot of problems. For example:
- it slows down the site because it uses databases queries, which cannot be done with indexes. This happens on EVERY page request! It is a major performance killer.
- it causes hard-to-catch errors, such as:
	- numeric paths instead of normal paths
	- wrong page ids for paths
	- additional look ups for page paths in certain cases (more performance problems)

Specifying correct root page id in the configuration is a one time action that avoids ALL these problems forever.

SVN version of RealURL currently has an experimental "strict" mode, which disables automatic detection of a root page id. It is faster and safer this way. However I recognize that disabling this feature is bad from the usability point of view. Therefore I am looking for the alternative solution. I do not know what can it be yet. This holds the release of a new version.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
In TYPO3 blog: http://dmitry-dulepov.com/article/artificial-intelligence.html