[TYPO3-english] using SPHINX for search

Vahan Amirbekyan vamirbekyan at dgfoundation.org
Sun Apr 12 20:06:44 CEST 2009

dear all,
after first using indexed_search and then looking into other solutions
SPHINX was chosen and I am happy with how fast it works.
Our team has integrated sphinx with indexed_search ( many other features
were added to indexed_search as well, such as recursive indexing, types
specific indexing and other ).
To see how fast it works pls see example here:
http://aideffectiveness.developmentgateway.org/Search.10959+M52ff1692829.0.html?&L=0&tx_indexedsearch[ext]=1

Number of documents being indexed is 250,000+
I do not have ext ready for download at this moment ( other priorities )
  but I could at least be helpful to someone who decides to use sphinx
as well.

Especially check out the speed of phrase searches. With indexed_search
ext search of phases runs very very slow. The more words one adds the
slower search becomes.
Sphinx has no problem phrases what so ever.
Sphinx indexing takes seconds. It is very fast.

regards,