[TYPO3-english] Real Url performance: am I reading it right

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Mon Apr 6 08:57:04 CEST 2009

Hi!

Vahan Amirbekyan wrote:
> I found a few things I dislike the most:
> 1. disabling cHash caching may increase the performance considerably.
> The code generates too many queries to update the DB. For a page with
> hundreds of URLs it is a killer.

This happens only if cHash does not exist in the database already or if you force updates.

> 2. the enableUrlDecodeCache & enableUrlEncodeCache should not be enabled
> by default. Both flags again generate updates to the DB for every link.

They should be enabled by default and they only insert entries if the entery is not in the database.

> With default TTL = 24 hours a high traffic site will generate again too
> many DB updates. So the enableUrlEncodeCache better be disabled by default.

No.

> When do we need then enableCHashCache and enableUrlDecodeCache &
> enableUrlEncodeCache?

Always.

> I would say that enableCHashCache should be false 99% of the time unless
> the site is not traffic heavy and admin things that GET params look ugly.
>
> enableUrlDecodeCache & enableUrlEncodeCache should be enabled
> temporarily before system is scheduled to have some changes that effect
> URLs. Both then should be set to false after some time again.

Please, do not say that. This is wrong. Someone will find that with Google, take as granted, use and complain about poor performance.

If you just enabled these settings on your site, the site will be slower because cache information is generated all the time. But once all pages are in the cache, it will be much faster. There will be one database query that works with highly optimized indexes. Without caches you will have many other queries without indexes.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
In TYPO3 blog: http://dmitry-dulepov.com/article/google-analytics-certified.html