[TYPO3-english] Magento - Typo3

Michael Türk tuerk at flagbit.de
Fri Apr 3 12:31:02 CEST 2009

On 2009-04-03 11:55:58 +0200, Rik Willems <rik at actiview.nl> said:

> Perhaps a nice place to start some discussion about Magento... I'm very
> much interested in your opinions. Magento is quite new  but I hear good
> things about it. How can I place Magento? How does it compare with
> tt_products or commerce?
>
> Other thing I heard is that templating for Magento is hard. Some stuff
> seems to be hard coded in stead of templated. Can anyone confirm this?
>
> Looking forward to your thoughts.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Rik
>
> Patrik schreef:
>> I have a problem with extensions "fb_magento" -connects TYPO3 and Magento
>> ("fb_magento" ver. 0.5.0, Magento ver. 1.2.1.2).
>> Admin interface of Magento works OK, but when I include plugin in BE Typo3
>> return an error: TYPOGENTOSOAP API Error: Access denied.
>>
>> On FE Typo3 return an error:
>> Fatal error: Mage_Core_Model_Session_Abstract::getMessages(): The script
>> tried to execute a method or access a property of an incomplete object.
>> Please ensure that the class definition "Mage_Core_Model_Message_Collection"
>> of the object you are trying to operate on was loaded _before_ unserialize()
>> gets called or provide a __autoload() function to load the class definition
>> in .../app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Session/Abstract.php on line 173
>>
>> Anybody have a good tutorial to install "typogento".
>>
>> Regards,
>> Patrik

Hey Patrik,

Magento definetely is the current number 1 open source e-commerce
platform and in my opinion it can compete with commercial ones as well.
It is extremely flexible and can be adapted to almost every business
case. It clearly outperforms every TYPO3 e-commerce extension. We do
not use any other e-commerce platform anymore.

On the other hand high flexibility and functionality comes with higher
complexity - that's something we know from TYPO3, don't we. The
templating stuff is not too hard though, if you take your time to
understand the mechanisms (layout, template, skin, design
configuration). Actually it let's you do the templating stuff quite
fast by letting you override the stuff you want to change and falling
back to the original templates for the remainder.

The number 1 problem with Magento is the lack of documentation. This
means you'll have to work a lot to get into the project. This might
result in a few project failures in the beginning.

Greetings from Karlsruhe,
Michael

--
Flagbit GmbH & Co. KG - advanced web solutions
TYPO3, Magento, Zend Framework

TypoGento - Integrating Magento with TYPO3
http://www.typogento.com