[TYPO3] Mailing list or forum?

Georg Ringer news at ringerge.org
Mon Sep 15 11:02:26 CEST 2008

Hi,
> After all, news groups are popular within inly a limited group of
> internet users.

That is just not true! I just wanna remind of alt.binaries.* ;)

Big advantages are:
- fast
- no ads
- no overhead!

Of course there is adblock but still.. I got 100mbit speed and reading
newsgroups with my own client is the best thing to do! No forum can be
faster than this. Another big advantage: I got everything offline
available! So i can sit in the train with no internet connection and can
search in all mailinglists!

> Many serious web developers do not use news groups and
> consequently have no experience with them.

Just because you don't use it....

> Forums are much more
> convenient to use.

Not true! Every forum is still a bit different. Here I can use my own
client which I know the best. Every click into a categorie needs a new
reload of the page meaning waiting...

> Even the Typo3 bug tracker (Mantis) is more
> self-explaining than these prehiostoric news mailing lists.

You can't compare products which are so different!

> So I, and many other people as well, would greatly applaud a change from
> these mailing lists to a real forum system.

What is the advantage you got with a real forum?

Georg