[TYPO3] Mailing list or forum?

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Sun Sep 14 20:12:19 CEST 2008

Hi!

H. Hahn wrote:
> After all, news groups are popular within inly a limited group of
> internet users. Many serious web developers do not use news groups and
> consequently have no experience with them. Forums are much more
> convenient to use. Even the Typo3 bug tracker (Mantis) is more
> self-explaining than these prehiostoric news mailing lists.

As the non-serious web developer I use newsgroups instead of getting lots of e-mails. Since a belong to a very limited group of Mozilla Thunderbird users, I will not ask you to try it with TYPO3 news server ;)

> So I, and many other people as well, would greatly applaud a change from
> these mailing lists to a real forum system.

I am against forums. This is much slower, lots of extra data and visuals. I am for newsreader! It keeps me focused on the current task and I do not have to switch to mail client to check if mail is from my boss or from mailing list. I just open the newsgroup when I want and enjoy threads, sorting, tags, flagging and other ways of organizing messages according to my interests.

I know, I am non-serious and I belong to the limited group ;)

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 Core team