[TYPO3] 404 redirect and .htaccess

Oliver Rowlands oliver at liquidlight.co.uk
Sat Sep 13 16:05:27 CEST 2008

Hi Janus,

401 and 404 errors have nothing to do with each other.

A 401 will be fired by Apache if an authenticated/unauthenticated user
tries to access a URI he does not have access to. TYPO3 does not even
get triggered in that event as everything happens at the Apache level.

Have a look at Apache's custom error documents settings, add the
following to your .htaccess:

ErrorDocument 401 /401_error_page.html

You will need to set the <base> element in your HTML <head> in order for
your page assets (ie: CSS, images, JS, etc.) to work correctly.

Best regards,

Oliver

--
Oliver Rowlands