[TYPO3] Do I need the Site Crawler to get Indexed Search to work?

Mike fromlists at talkingspider.com
Tue Sep 2 19:47:52 CEST 2008

Marcus Biesioroff wrote:
> ellou' again
>
>> Yep I do have config.index_enable = 1
>
>> Then why isn't it working?  The site is getting lots of traffic, but
>> Tools/Indexing still shows no pages.  And search results all come up blank.
>

> Oh I don't really know :) in standard configuration everything works
> well with no other special config.
>
> Once again:
>
> 0: I guest that you have installed and enabled indexed_search
> extension?
>
> 1: config.index_enable = 1 (done) are you sure that there's no other
> line in your template or some included sub-template that's
> overwriting this value to 0 (zero) ?

There's no line overwriting it to 0.

> 2: logout from backend, frontend and so on... (I'm not sure about FE,
> but you can try as a standard user 'from the street' without ANY
> login.. than you 'crawl' your pages manually - click at the every menu
> positions....

Well it's been three days, I've logged out many times. There's no login
on the FE.

> tip: if you have few pages and you want to make sure that you'll find
> all of them, you can prepare one page (hidden in menu, or not - as

We have way too many pages but thanks.

> 3: as Dmitry mentioned, pages MUST to be cacheble, TYPO3 do not index
> non-cacheble pages because it has no sense... :) they are often a
> result of function which is made for working with specific sets of
> data.
 >
> So if you have set config.no_cache = 1 in main template or in some
> sub-template this part will not be indexed, also if you have set no
> cache in your page properties this will be the reason why these pages
> and/or subpages aren't indexed.

We only have one template and it doesn't have that in it.

> Go to the web - info module , choose from select boxes 'Pagtree
> overview' and later 'Cache and age' and check which pages are
> indexed, and which are not.

When I look at this, none of the "Last updated" columns have any data,
all blank.  Same for "New" until, Stop Page Tree, TSCongif and Login
Mode. And "General Record Storage" is all 0's.

"Cache expires" is set to "Default" for all.

Where in typo3 to I set the Default?  And/or turn caching on or off for
the whole site?

Btw- if I make a change to a page's content and then view it in the
browser, it doesn't change, until I cleare the "FE" cache in the
backend.  I thought that meant caching is turned on.  (and no it's not
browser cache).

> theres a documentation, but I assume, that you know this:
> http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/extension-manuals/doc_indexed_search/2.10.0/view/1/5/

Yea one thing I noticed is, on this page:

http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/extension-manuals/doc_indexed_search/2.10.0/view/1/2/

I don't have a "Startingpoint" box like the screenshot does.  But it
sounds like my problem has something to do with caching anyway right?