[TYPO3-english] Mount Point: does not work as it should

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Sun Oct 26 11:40:03 CET 2008

> I have following structure:
>
> root
>   |-- page1
>   |     `-- page2 (MP -> page3)
>   `-- sysfolder
>         `-- page3

Well, my sysfolder is a "Common Pages" sysfolder as my whole structure
has lots of "page1" where I want to mount the pages of the sysfolder
(such as copyright page, login page, sitemap, ...) Those page do not
need to be shown in menu as there is already direct links to those pages
with the design template.

> If I make page2 a mount point for page3, it works as it should and show
> me page3 (in the generate menu of subpages of page1 too).
>
> The problem with this method is that if I want page3 to be translated, I
> have to translate it as overlay of page2 (at least I think so).
>
> Thus I check the option of mount page page2 to "Substitute Mount Point
> (this page) with Mounted page" but then the menu of page1 does not show
> the mount point anymore and if I try to show page2 from BE, I get that
> an error telling me that it does not have a valid connection to the root.
>
> Is this a bug?

I used this "feature" to avoid having to mount each and every page of my
"Common Pages" sysfolder. I now renamed page2 as "Common Pages" that is
a mount point to my sysfolder and I checked the "Substitute...". I can
create link via TS to my pages inside my sysfolder and show the
breadcrumb menu as if those pages where created inside my page2/Common
Pages inside page1.

This way, I may translate page3 inside the sysfolder and benefit of this
translation wherever I mount this sysfolder. If I mount page3 itself, I
have to provide the translation for every mount :-/

But I still do not understand why a mounted page with "substitute..."
option activated is not shown anymore. I do not understand the idea
behind this. I found a use of this "feature" but still do not understand
why it was designed this way.

--
Xavier Perseguers
http://xavier.perseguers.ch/en