[TYPO3-english] RealURL configuration

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Tue Oct 14 09:02:48 CEST 2008

Hi!

Ronald Wiplinger (Lists) wrote:
> You mis-understand, ... when you get a problem you start with Google,
> ... and you end up with 87,000+ entries to the subject typo3, what
> nearly would fit, and that from the last years, where several updates to
> typo3 was made. Which document is still valid? So it seems then the
> faster and better way to ask here to get the fastest and shortest way to
> solve a problem.

This is exactly the wrong way. When you get a problem with TYPO3, do not start with Google. Do this in order:
- go to http://support.typo3.org/ and see (search!) if anyone had the same problem
- read corresponding documentation (extension manual or other document in the documentation section on typo3.org) to see if there is a solution
- if none of the above helps, use Google but be very critical about what you read

There are lots of statements about various TYPO3 issues on the Internet but most of them are either obsolete, or inaccurate, or come from people who do not really know what they write (they made it work in some way but the way is wrong). The Internet is a big collection of informational junk.

> It is great if (repeat IF) a manual is attached, often it isn't.

For RealURL, it is attached and it is comstantly improving according to suggestions from readers :)

> BTW, do we have an online community, like in IRC?

There is a #typo3 on irc.freenode.net. I tried going there several times out of curiosity but I have no idea if it helpful. The best source of information is here, in the mailing lists.

Regarding Ryan's problem, there is a setting, which is described in the manual as:
========================
If set, then the last directory part of the virtual path being made will be turned into the filename suffixed “.html” IF the filename part is non-existing.

For example, “workplace-learning-solutions/companion-solutions/” would be turned into “workplace-learning-solutions/companion-solutions.html” and the basepart of the filename (stripping the “.html” extension) will still be perceived as the last part of the virtual path.
This approach is useful if you want to simulate HTML documents even if you don't configure any fileName mappings.

If set to string, that string will be used as suffix. Notice that leading dot is mandatory (i.e. valid suffix is “.html”, not just “html”)
This setting is missing in his configuration.

I do not give the option name because I believe that people cannot be taught, they only can learn. I really want Ryan to take a look to the manual. This way he will remember the setting and if he ever forgets it, he will know where to find it. If he just gets an easy answer here, it will mean he will never be able to troubleshoot the problem again quickly and easily.

Most people do not like learning, they prefer easy answers. But TYPO3 is not the system, where one can become a pro by only using easy answers.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 Core team