[TYPO3-english] svn Branche TYPO3_4-1 problem

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Thu Oct 9 14:11:54 CEST 2008

Hello,

> We have a automated update system for our typo3 versions. Today we
> installed an older version the 4.1 branch (should be 4.1.7), But when i
> open the typo3 backend i see 4.1.8-dev version I don't thinks this is
> correct, is it?

In fact it is.

> https://svn.typo3.org/TYPO3v4/Core/branches/TYPO3_4-1/
>
> When looking in the tags dir from svn the last 4.1 update (tag) is the
> 4.1.7. version

Correct.

> You would expect that the branch revisions are the last stable revision
> for that version.
>

> any idea's? Is the 4.1.8-dev a stable version?

No. But things are as follows:

- the trunk is always the future version of TYPO3, that is when 4.2.x is
the stable, this is the future 4.3, when 4.3 will be out, this will be
the future 4.4 and so on

- Once such a new version is released, a branch is created for it. This
will be the 4-2 branch

- Now times to times a new stable version is released as 4.2.x (1, 2,
...) and at that time, the state of the branch is freezed as a tag *but*
the branch goes on and prepares itself for the revision. Which is why
all commit on the 4.2 branch are in fact going to 4.2.3. 4.2.2 is out
and cannot be changed anymore, fixes are prepared for 4.2.3.

HTH

--
Xavier Perseguers
http://xavier.perseguers.ch/en