[TYPO3-english] Multi-lingual sites and SEO with Typo3

Paul Kemper phkemper at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 08:47:50 CET 2008

I'm not sure if this the way to ask questions, but here are mine:

I'm looking for a CMS that supports multi-lingual sites and proper SEO
techniques. I am a programmer with 32 years of experience and 6 years in
PHP, so I would be able to do all necessary scripting. Typo3 seems to have
what I am looking for (I read tons of documentation on the site, especially
the multi-lingual documents), but I am not sure. It has a steep learning
curve. I'm willing to invest the time to learn it and use it at my client's
sites, if it indeed provides what I need. Can someone reassure me by looking
at my wish list and tell me if Typo3 is the right CMS for me?

Wish list:

1 Ability to have friendly-URL/title/meta-description/meta-keywords in the
chosen page language (I'm not use about the friendly URL, the others I think
are possible in Typo3);

2 Ability to have a language switcher switch to the same page in the other
language(s) and not switch to the home page in the chosen language (I think
it is possible in Typo3);

3 When a page exists in multiple languages, but page comments are allowed to
that page, ALL comments are visible, regardless of the page language that
the commentor is using (haven't found this in the documentation);

4 Ability to have forms in multiple languages, while still storing form data
into the sale table (I believe this is possible in Typo3).

5 Ability to name image and other media files depending on the page
language. So an image about a mountina for instance would be called
mountain.jpg in the English page, berg.jpg in the German page, mont.jpg in
the French page (I believe it is not possible without having multiple copies
of the image file). This is not a show stopper however;

I hope someone can help me, so I can make a quick start with the right CMS.

Thankx,
Paul Kemper
www.tauros.eu