[TYPO3-english] TYPO3.ORG hacked

Marcus Krause marcus#exp2008 at t3sec.info
Sun Nov 16 23:58:12 CET 2008

Peter Russ schrieb:
> [...]

If you're expecting to get a victim of man-in-the-middle, there's no way
to get around SSL.

Whatever challenge/response method you are using to transfer credentials
or hashing/+salting methods to store passwords in the database, the
attacker won't make the effort to intercept authentication. Instead, he
would steal your cookie with a valid session identifier after you have
been logged in. With the session id and the assumption, that the m-i-t-m
attacker is in the same (IP-)network (config 'lockIP' would then be
useless), he would be able to access the typo3 BE with your identity.
That's the disadvantage of HTTP being stateless; you have to use session
ids transfered by Get, Post or Cookie to keep track of an user session.

So better use SSL asap!

The problem now is, that TYPO3 FE/BE user record passwords are either in
clear-text or md5 hashed. Hashing by md5 will not solve the problem on
the long run, although your passwords could be arbitrary complex.
Hash collisions will be computable in an acceptable time pretty soon.

We are currently working on an alternative to md5 to be used in TYPO3.

Marcus.