[TYPO3-english] problems with comments field when editing user profiles (FE)

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 10 01:28:05 CET 2008

Tomas Norre Mikkelsen wrote:
> I have a problem with the cwt_community and cwt_feedit plugin.
>
> I have my user profile and what to edit the fe_users.comments field to, i
> have added the fe_users.title-field too, but there is not errors here.

I've used cwt_community_user, cwt_community and cwt_feedit too. At first
it looked like a nice solution, but I soon found out that there was
quite a bit wrong with those extensions.

They lack support for templates, cwt_feedit produces hardcoded html
tables for the editing forms (very hard to style) and the routine that
renders the fields reads the TCA but only knows a few types of fields
and doesn't know most options that can be used in TCA.

In the end I had to convert the tables to css styled editing forms and
added rendering support for select boxes, checkboxes, checkbox arrays,
etc. I had no time in that project to add support for normal templates
and find a way to let T3 render the fields.

Because it wasn't possible to configure the search the way we needed it,
this was covered in a seperate extension.

All in all, I wouldn't recommend the extensions.

Sorry for all the criticism about these extensions, but it was really an
unpleasant surprise what I found inside. In retrospect it would have
been faster to write our own extension; also because we needed only part
of the functionality.

Regarding your rendering problem, I think that cwt_feedit cannot
properly render the comments field because it was added by
sr_feuser_register. When cwt_feedit loads the TCA it has to merge the
definitions from other extensions with it.
in class.tx_cwtcommunity_pi1.php a few lines below the place where you
added stuff to the $items array you will need to add sr_feuser_register
to the $ext_keys array:

$form = t3lib_div::makeInstance('tx_cwtfeedit_pi1');
$form->init($table, $items, $record_uid, $cruser_id,
$GLOBALS["TSFE"]->id, array(), $this,
array("cwt_community_user","sr_feuser_register"), false, $isHashingEnabled);

Hope this helps a bit...

--
Jigal van Hemert.