[TYPO3-english] Customers and Extensions

Mark Kuiphuis spam at markyourweb.com
Mon Nov 10 01:07:06 CET 2008

Hi all,

I believe a lot of us are developing websites for customers. Customers
always want to have some features which normally can be solved by using
extensions (whether to create one yourself or use an existing one).

During my work with Typo3 I've seen some magnificent extensions.
Extensions that offer a lot of features for their specific target. Other
extensions don't offer a lot of features since they don't have to offer
a lot of features.

However: it could be me, but I have the general feeling that a customer
wants to have some specific functionality in his/her site, but doesn't
have the detailed picture in his mind yet.

They initially provide us with a "sort of" description how it should be.

First of all, we are going to look if there are any extensions which
might do the job (why invent the wheel twice) and install, configure the
extension.

But then, when they have seen something visually, they want to have this
feature added, that feature deleted, since they are not going to use it
anyway, etc. etc. How do you normally handle these requests.

Since I am fairly new (brand new to be honest) in regards to extension
development (still eagerly waiting for Dmitry's book to arrive, ordered
the book over 2 weeks ago :-( ) I don't feel comfortable modifying
someone else's extension. First reason is the current "lack of technical
insight in an extension" and second: I don't want to break the added
functionality when the extension has an update in the TER. (A security
update is always a good reason to upgrade imho).

We cannot expect of an extension developer to add functionality
immediately (even if we are willing to pay for), so how do you keep the
customer satisfied when you use an extension, but this extension doesn't
  fully satisfy the customers needs?

I'm very curious how the Typo3 world is handling these things?

Kind regards,

Mark