[TYPO3] a thought about security announcements and automatic security alert

Francois Suter fsuter at cobweb.ch
Wed May 28 09:32:34 CEST 2008

Hi Jeff,

> I've had some similar ideas bouncing around in my head for a couple
> months, but haven't found the time to actually do anything with them :)

:-)

> I've approached it from the perspective of the Extension Manager and
> having a master EM that cuts across all TYPO3 sites on a server. When
> selecting an extension, the administrator would see the other TYPO3
> sites that have that extension present and would push updates through to
> each TYPO3 site (or maybe only a few selected ones).
>
> We've developed a couple command line scripts to update a specific
> extension on a TYPO3 site, so my next logical progression was triggering
> these scripts from a master EM.
>
> If most of the management is extension related, then there may be some
> value in piggybacking on the extension EM functionality.

My idea is more centered around a survey of TYPO3 installs rather than
remote management, although the 2 are not mutually exclusive. As such
I'm thinking about a separate module rather than adding features to the
EM, which is already quite crowded IMO.

About triggering scripts remotely, I have recently released an alpha
version of an extension called "Remote server" which enables the TYPO3
BE to receive and respond to remote calls. It is heavily based on the
work Benni did for unifying AJAX calls in the BE, since this is very
similar. It makes very easy to call a remote TYPO3 install and get a
feedback. I am thinking of using this for the survey engine. It would be
easy to call your scripts with it too (BTW at T3DD08 I discussed the
opportunity with Benni to include that in 4.3 core and he's quite
positive about it, we just need to find some time ;-) ).

Cheers

--

Francois Suter