[TYPO3] a thought about security announcements and automatic security alert

Jeff Segars jsegars at alumni.rice.edu
Tue May 27 21:59:57 CEST 2008

Francois Suter wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I've just thought that it is really some work to check all "yours"
>> TYPO3 installations to find out which one has security bug announced
>> in Security Bulletin.
>
> Actually I had started thinking about something. Over time I have
> accumulated quite a lot of TYPO3 sites and I have trouble knowing which
> are running which version and using which extensions (at which version).
>
> My idea was to develop an extension that can monitor other TYPO3
> installs. It would actually be a series of extensions:
>
> - a BE module for the "master" install from which you survey the others
> - a client module for each TYPO3 install to survey
>
> Those 2 extensions would provide base services (i.e. retrieve info about
> TYPO3 version, extensions installed, etc.), but other extensions could
> add other views, for whatever each developer can think of. One service
> would be to add security bulletin info and automatically get a list of
> relevant TYPO3 installs.
>
> This is quite a lot of work and I haven't progressed much yet, so I
> quite feel like sharing the development of this if there are some people
> interested in here. The project(s) would be hosted on forge.typo3.org
> obviously, which is very convenient for sharing both ideas and work.
>
> What do you think? Anyone interested?
>
> Cheers

I've had some similar ideas bouncing around in my head for a couple
months, but haven't found the time to actually do anything with them :)

I've approached it from the perspective of the Extension Manager and
having a master EM that cuts across all TYPO3 sites on a server. When
selecting an extension, the administrator would see the other TYPO3
sites that have that extension present and would push updates through to
each TYPO3 site (or maybe only a few selected ones).

We've developed a couple command line scripts to update a specific
extension on a TYPO3 site, so my next logical progression was triggering
these scripts from a master EM.

If most of the management is extension related, then there may be some
value in piggybacking on the extension EM functionality.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jeff