[TYPO3] Typo3 4.2 + scriptmerger extension - advisory

Paul Vetch paul at qedstudio.com
Sun May 18 12:00:51 CEST 2008

All,

In case anyone else runs into this issue:  Typo3 4.2 core adds JSMin
functionality (for minifying Javascript files) and it is enabled by default.
If you use the scriptmerger extension (which does the same thing but works
with CSS and has additional functionality) then you will have a conflict
since Typo3 4.2 core and the extension both attempt to initialise the same
JSMin class, which results in a fatal error.

The easy solution is to make sure you set config.minifyJS = 0 in your TS to
disable the built-in functionality; you can then run scriptmerger without
any problem.  (I've sent a note of the this to Stefan Galinski, who wrote
the scriptmerger ext).

I don't think this wil affect many people and there is some documentation
about this new feature about (and it is noted in NEWS.txt in Typo3 4.2
distro), but you never know.

BTW I recommend the scriptmerger extension very highly - it merges all CSS
and JS into two files in addition to minifying - reducing the number of
server requests is an important optimisation for high traffic websites.

All best

Paul