[TYPO3] GMENU_LAYERS: Submenu doesn't disapear by moving the cursor away

Christopher Torgalson bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Sat May 17 15:29:51 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 3:18 PM, Todor Vachkov <didinjid at cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
> Hello,
> nobody can help me?,

Not with this specific aspect of your issue, but the best advice I can
think of with respect to the *MENU_LAYERS objects is not to use them.
They're difficult to use, they're bloated, they're slow, and they rely
on javascript to work *at all*.

For a hint about why it inspires such a negative reaction from me,
check the source code of a page where you use it. You will find at a
minimum, *hundreds* of lines of code just for your menus, and it can
run into the thousands for bigger menus. A large-ish *MENU_LAYERS
object will slow your pages down dramatically.

There are better options these days than there were when the
*MENU_LAYERS object was new--take a look at some of the more modern
options [1]. Typically these days your menu could just be a TMENU or
GMENU output as a properly nested list with a bunch of CSS and
sometimes a small amount of javascript for IE only (or for effects
only).

--
Christopher Torgalson
http://www.typo3apprentice.com/