[TYPO3] TYPO3 hosting/structure advice

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Thu May 15 00:13:21 CEST 2008

Hi,

I'm thinking about the best way to move an plain old ASP website into
TYPO3. Current implementation (not TYPO3) does this:

- a few generic webpages showing misc infos such as calendars, persons,
... are used. A GET parameter allows to pass an ID which changes the
calendars, contents of the lists, ... accordingly.

- Multilingual through a "lang=" parameter

- A few static webpages stored somewhere else on the server and
incorporated into the generated "shared" design (the one with the ID) to
let people have kind of CMS through FTP and HTML files

I would like to plan its replacement with TYPO3. Multilingual content is
no real problem, current static webpages remapped to pages is easy with
TYPO3 :-)

Now the point is that I have 100+ IDs for the generic webpages.

Creating 100+ TYPO3 websites is out of question because it will be
unmanageable.

Most of these 100+ "websites" only contain the generic webpages and not
static HTML files. That is, most of these 100+ websites are purely
showing content from a DB and do not contain anything else.

I may also create a single (or 2-3) instance of a TYPO3 website and
create a multi-homed website with a root node corresponding to each and
every of these generated websites but it will force me to create the
basic structure for every site.

What do you think?

I have to create extensions for retrieving the current content of the
external DB (content will be kept there). I may accept a "ID" parameter
just as now and I would have

<root>
   +--- pure DB-driven websites
      + basic structure
      + of page with plugin
      + allowing a ID to be passed

   +--- website #1 with user content
      + basic structure
      + of page with plugin
      + ---
      + user content

   +--- website #2 with user content
      + basic structure
      + of page with plugin
      + ---
      + user content

With proper RealURL configuration I might be able to access all of these
websites (both with and without user content) in a transparent manner I
think.

Do you have any suggestion?

--
Xavier Perseguers