[TYPO3] BE Best practice - Templavoilá fileadmin folder tree and page tree

The Plankmeister plankmeister at hotmail.com
Wed May 7 10:47:56 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I've configured a few sites now, but haven't really found a comfortable
method of organising things in the BE, specifically with regard to the
organisation of the "fileadmin" folder tree.

I always use TV, and the tutorial - while very insightful - doesn't
really provide any in-depth information on best practices to implement
with regard to this folder organisation. Is there a standard for this?

It appears that all files required by the FE should be in a subfolder of
fileadmin. The current method I use is something like this:

fileadmin (d)

     +- templates (d)

            +- css (d)
            +- images (d)
            +- scripts (d)
            |- template1.html (f)
            |- template2.html (f)
            |- template3.html (f)
            |- fce_template1.html (f)
            |- fce_template2.html (f)

Is this a good method of organising things?

Also, in the BE itself, how is it best to organise the page tree with
regard to site configuration SysFolders?

Typo3 (root)

   +- Site (page)
   |    |
   |    + Page1 (page)
   |    + Page2 (page)
   |    ... large page tree, not reproduced here...
   |    + Common Elements (sysfolder - contains shared content elements
that appear on multiple pages)
   +- Config (sysfolder)

        +- Lib objects (sysfolder - contains TV "Lib" object templates)
        |       |
        |       +- Lib object content (sysfolder - contains the content
elements referred to in the individual lib templates)
        +- Extensions (sysfolder - contains extension setup templates)
        +- Templavoila DS+TO (sysfolder - TV record storage)

This is my current method of choice. Is this good?

Advice/links/further details/critique welcomed :D

//Plank