[TYPO3] Documentation by TYPO3 with pdf-renderer

Christopher Torgalson bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 10:50:16 CET 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:39 AM, Christopher Torgalson
<bedlamhotel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

>  On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 9:41 AM, Dmitry Dulepov [typo3]
>  <dmitry at typo3.org> wrote:
>  > virgil huston wrote:
>  >  > One question. Is there a way to have pages not A4. A4 really messes up US
>  >  > printers. I have seen cases where printers are "down" for days. Is there a
>  >  > way to make a choice between A4 and the US letter size in these cases.
>  >
>  >  My printer allows me to choose A4 for Letter-formatted documents and prints very well. Not sure why it does not work for you. May be driver issue?
>

>  I wondered the same thing. Nevertheless, it's not really important.
>  What matters here is that since there are different paper sizes in
>  wide use in the TYPO3 community, we need some way to ensure a standard
>  way to refer to pages in docs. As far as I can work out, this means we
>  need at least one of three things in any printable documentation:
>
>  1. Automatically generated tables of contents depending on selected paper size
>  2. Fully independent versions for different paper sizes
>  3. Page numbers/location indicators *independent of location on the
>  actual printed page*.
>
>  If options (1) or (2) are sufficiently difficult, I personally have no
>  problem with (3)--it's very common in academic texts to refer to
>  locations in the text quite unrelated to their physical location in
>  the text. For example:
>
>  Shakespeare: I.i.24 (Act I, Scene i, line 24)
>  Plato: 123b4 (a certain location and line corresponding to some
>  canonical edition of Plato)
>  Kant: 4:400 (volume and page of a canonical edition)
>
>  Provided we have a sufficiently fine-grained organization to
>  documents, something as simple as 7.3.2 (Section 7, subsection 3,
>  sub-subsection 2) might be workable. Anybody on the lists with
>  experience in organizing long-ish technical docs who can improve on my
>  suggestions?
>
>  It's also worth recalling that in docs like the TSref, page-number
>  references are typically completely useless with each new version…

Replying to myself, I realize that the TSref at least anticipates this
problem to a degree by indicating the location in the text with a
'path'; for example:

[tsref:(cObject).IMAGE]

Again, worth keeping in mind for sufficiently well-structured
documents, though it may work better in the TSref than it might
elsewhere.

--
Christopher Torgalson
http://www.typo3apprentice.com/