[TYPO3] extranet pictures and files protection

bernd wilke xoonsji02 at sneakemail.com
Sun Mar 16 11:23:18 CET 2008

on Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:57:09 +0200, Katja Lampela wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm wondering if there is a way to have some protection for the pictures
> or filelinks in the extranet part of the site.
>
> I would like to protect the "normal" pictures of extranet so that they
> couldn't be accessed with the proper url? Is this possible?

???
what do you want?
pictures/files from fileadmin/ shouldn't be accessed also you know the
exact url-path, which is given by a link from the content?

not really possible

> What about the files, if I .htaccess a folder and link to a file in it
> in the extranet, this causes another login request, doesn't it?

yes

> Any experience or idea how to protect files/pictures on access
> restricted area is very much welcome.

first of all: protect your directories from being listed. That can be
done by configuring apache, but also by an index.html which forwardes
to ../index.*

if you want to really protect your files you have to vary the access-path.
All files from fileadmin/ are accessible from outside as long as you
doesn't protect the directory with .htaccess, but that would protect
*any* access from outside (password-request).

from inside (PHP) every file is accessible. which means: you should
access these files with a script. this script can check access and switch
between: this request is allowed, this one is not allowed

a possible integrating into TYPO3: make a plugin, which shows one file,
whose path is given in an URL-Parameter, but where the directory is not
accessible from outside.
The Plugin can check wether a FE-user is logged in and copy the file to
output (use an own pagetype for this, so you can give any filetype, not
only html), or deny.

another approach: a script which uses just the needed parts to integrate
into TYPO3 to check for FE-user-logins.

bernd