[TYPO3] Documentation nightmare

Peter Kindström peter.kindstrom at abc.se
Sat Mar 15 11:51:01 CET 2008

Hi
Tutorials are great, but they tend to be very difficult to keep
updated. If you just change some text in the program/extension
you have to update the tutorial, since tutorials often dont
explain why or alternatives, they just tell you ONE way to make
things happen.

My point is that you can still write documents that guides
people from start to finish without being a tutorial !

Look at whatever installation manual you find on the net. Most
of them start with how to download the software and finish with
you having a read-to-use software. It that a tutorial or just an
installation document?

It is "unlucky" that Kasper is so good at writing tutorials. :-)
That gave us the wrong start, we now tend to write/update
tutorials instead of writing real documentation that tell "the
whole story".

Of course there are room for tutorials, but they should not be a
substitute for "real" documentation - they should be a complement!

Finally a question: If you really write an installation
tutorial, on what page at typo3.org should it be put; under
Tutorial or Installation ... And where do newbies look for it?

/Peter Kindström