[TYPO3] Documentation nightmare

Dan Osipov dosipov at phillyburbs.com
Fri Mar 14 02:44:15 CET 2008

Andreas Becker wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Meanwhile there are a lot of posibilities to collaborate on OO documents,
> which I (like Dimitry) also prefer much more like a wiki. Have a look to
> google docs, zoho, thinkfree, ultea, ... - those SaaS are much more editor
> friendly like a wiki. Isn't it possible to create a similar service for the
> TYPO3 documentation? This could come in Handy especially as the attached
> docs in extensions are also sxw. All those attached docs could be updated
> much easier with such a solution I guess.
>
> Andi

I actually prefer the wiki - people can make modifications and correct
any errors in the article. They can discuss the article contents in the
discussion section, and ask for help. Changes can be tracked through an
RSS feed, much harder to do in the OO files.
Links are easy to make and easy to maintain. This in contrast to the
current documentation - about 8 out of 10 links don't point anywhere,
and just redirect to the documentation main page.
Also, not everyone has open office installed, while the wiki is always
available and easily searchable.
I am not advocating abandoning one or the other, but there is certain,
highly dynamic information, that is essential to understanding Typo3,
that might be better off on the wiki, rather then in its own SXW file...

Dan