[TYPO3] Documentation nightmare

Peter Kindström peter.kindstrom at abc.se
Thu Mar 13 18:42:48 CET 2008

Hi again!
> I would love to hear from you or doc team how a developer (me to be
> exact) can help to rewrite such document as FTB? How this work can be
> organized/divided? I cannot imagine it :( I am quite sure I can get hold
> of FTB ownership from Kasper, so we really can update it.

Sorry, this posting is long....

First of all I think the docTeam should worry more about doc
structure, managing and overview than about single documents.
But of course the docTeam should also give some advise in
matters like this!

How to organise the work? Hmmm, first of all there has to be
_one_ person _responsible_ for the work - the docOwner. He/she
desides who writes what, when it is ready and, if people
disagree, deside which way to go.

Then I would make a draft wiki page, with just the headers
(=topics) of the document. I would then move those headers
around, add and delete some to get a well structured skeletton
with simular topics near each other. Here other people should
have the opportunity to particpate.

When all suggestions have been considered (not necessarily
implemented :-) ) the docOwner comes to a point where he/she
should say "this is the structure we will use - lets go on
writing".

The next step would be to fill the space between the headers
with actual text and pictures. Here you could assign different
parts/header to different writers.

As I writer I would start by copying text from the old document
into the right place/header on the wiki page. Then I would add,
delete, update and change the text as needed. I would also have
to rewrite some text so it fits together with the headers/topics
before and after.

Durig this stage there will propaply be suggestions to move, add
or delete headers/topics but if and how it should be done should
be up to the docOwner to decide. (Otherwise you could go on with
this forever. You can always revise the document again later.)

When there are text within all headers, _one_ person have to
check the document for consitensy. It propably requires some
editing too, because different people write in different ways
and you dont want the reader to notice that.

Finally you should get a last review, to correct typos, that the
right words are used and so on. And when that is done, the
document is ready!

--------

This is of course in theory. You can probably do it in a much
simpler way. But I believe the structuring phase (with just
headers) is important and saves a lot of effort later on in the
writing process - even if you are on your own when writing. I do
so myself when writing bigger/more important documents.

Just my 2 cents!

/Peter Kindström