[TYPO3] Documentation nightmare

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Tue Mar 11 17:52:45 CET 2008

Stephen Bungert wrote:
> Stop people submitting extensions in tot he repository that don't have
> documentation would be a good start.

How to prevent them from submitting the empty manual?

> As a new TYPO3 user I find that very frustrating, there seem tob e so many
> extensions that might do what I want, but I can't use them because there is
> no documentation explaining how to, or if it is documented it looks like
> this:
>
> Instructions:
>
> Install extension through extenion manager.
> Enjoy ;-)

Well, there are some worse thing. Check out these exts:
fhm_indexed_search
weeaar_extnews
fn_lib

Some of them have manual but descriptions are below zero mark...

> What kind of instruction manual is that? There should be guidelines for
> writing the manuals (maybe there are already). Another problem I find is
> that the extension creators seem to write manuals as if everyone else that
> uses TYPO3 (and thus there extension) has the same experience level as
> themselves. I often see writen in manuals simply add this line of typocode,

This is typical problem for 99% of developers and it is extremely hard to avoid :( It is too human to assume certain knowledge of the reader. Believe me, I had to write lots of thing...

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team