[TYPO3] Documentation nightmare

ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Tue Mar 11 15:46:25 CET 2008

On Mar 11, 2008, at 9:34 AM, Stephen Bungert wrote:

> Stop people submitting extensions in tot he repository that don't have
> documentation would be a good start.

That's hard to do, because as you noticed... there are also many
extensions that have a manual added... but the manual is empty.
Only a human can check this!!!

> As a new TYPO3 user I find that very frustrating, there seem tob e
> so many
> extensions that might do what I want, but I can't use them because
> there is
> no documentation explaining how to, or if it is documented it looks
> like
> this:
>
> Instructions:
>
> Install extension through extenion manager.
> Enjoy ;-)

Sounds simple!!! Hmmmmm but not always....

> What kind of instruction manual is that? There should be guidelines
> for
> writing the manuals (maybe there are already). Another problem I
> find is
> that the extension creators seem to write manuals as if everyone
> else that
> uses TYPO3 (and thus there extension) has the same experience level as
> themselves. I often see writen in manuals simply add this line of
> typocode,
> then everything will start working. The problem is half the time the
> code
> doesn't mean that much to me, I don't know where I should 'add' the
> code or
> how I can change parts oft he code if I want.

One advice I can give is to look at the ext_typoscript file or the
setup.txt file
within the extension. A lot of it's underlying 'logic' is revealed
there on what
options a extension accepts because often this is what the extensions
writer
itself needs and will not be hidden in code. That did learn me a lot
about
extensions like tt_news (how the hell are dates/times handled!!!!) and
extensions
like htmlarea.

it should not be like that... But that will tell you a lot...

Ries van Twisk
tags: Freelance TYPO3 JBoss JasperReports Flex Blaze-DS WebORB
PostgreSQL DB-Architect
email: ries at vantwisk.nl
web:   http://www.rvantwisk.nl/
skype: callto://r.vantwisk